Applicants / Application Managers / ID Checkers:
1. What is a Basic Disclosure check?
A Basic Disclosure check is a UK criminal record check and can be obtained for anyone for any reason (with their permission).
They are available for any role and is not restricted by the law or by industry sector.
They are commonly referred to as a Basic DBS, Basic CRB or a Basic Police Check.
They can be processed for UK residents or Ex-UK residents living overseas.
A Basic Disclosure check searches if the applicant has any Unspent Convictions.
The Disclosure and Barring Service will soon be processing Basic Disclosure checks (updated 24th September 2016):
Basic Disclosure checks are currently processed by a government agency called Disclosure Scotland. We are approved by Disclosure Scotland to provide online Basic Disclosure checks.
The DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) will soon be processing Basic Disclosure checks for residents in England and Wales.
We are registered with the DBS to provide Basic Disclosure checks when they start to offer them (planned to be from July 2017 onwards).
We will be providing an online Basic DBS application service through the relevant government agency for residents who live in England, Wales or Scotland.
The DBS have not yet announced the fee they will charge for Basic DBS checks yet, but we do not envisage it to be much different than the current price of Basic Disclosure checks.
We will be operating the existing Basic application process (with Disclosure Scotland) along with the new DBS Basic Disclosure Service when it is activated.
2. What information does a Basic Disclosure check provide?
A Basic Disclosure check is processed by a government agency called Disclosure Scotland and provides a report of any Unspent Convictions a person might have.
To be more precise it searches the Scottish Criminal History System, (CHS), the English & Welsh Police National Computer, (PNC) and the Northern Ireland Criminal Records Viewer, (CRV) to determine whether an individual who applies for a basic disclosure has any unspent convictions. It should be noted that for people living in Scotland seeking a basic disclosure, it is not just Scottish unspent convictions that are relevant but also unspent convictions that may have been received in England & Wales and Northern Ireland.
Disclosure Scotland is an Executive Agency of the Scottish Government, which has delegated authority to offer a Basic Disclosure Service. By accessing the Police National Computer and the Police Criminal History System, Disclosure Scotland is able to provide confirmation of any unspent criminal convictions an applicant may have.
ThePolice National Computer (PNC) is a national database of information available to all police forces and law enforcement agencies throughout:
- Northern Ireland
- the Isle of Man
- the Channel Islands, and
- the British Transport Police.
A Basic Disclosure check allows businesses to assess the suitability and potential risk of placing a candidate in a role.
A Basic Disclosure check can also be obtained by the individual themselves and can be obtained for personal use by the applicant. An individual can obtain a Basic Disclosure check on themselves through our sister website: www.basicpolicecheck.co.uk.
3. What can a Basic Disclosure check be used for?
A Basic Disclosure is available to ANYONE throughout the UK, for ANY purpose.
Common uses for a Basic Disclosure check are:
- A role where it is in the interest of a customer/employer to obtain a criminal record history on someone; e.g: working in a position of trust, or working in premises unsupervised, cash-handling.
- To obtain an Alcohol / personal licence
- For Visa Applications
- For clearance in the Aviation Security sector
A Basic Disclosure check is the lowest level of criminal record check available, and searches the Police National Computer (PNC) for details of all current convictions (unspent convictions according to the rehabilitation of offenders Act 1974).
Anyone who lives or has lived in the UK can apply for a Basic Disclosure.
4. What is the application process?
We provide a secure online Basic Disclosure application system. It is fully approved and it is compliant with ISO27001.
It is completely paperless. ID is verified online.
A brief summary of the our current online Basic Disclosure application process is as follows:
1. The applicant (staff member) enters their details onto the online application system via a secure online Basic Disclosure form; they can do this from anywhere with internet access.
2. Someone within your organisation (a nominated ID checker) will then need to check their ID and select from a drop-down list what ID you have seen – you can have as many ID Checkers as you need
3. The online form is then submitted to us electronically for processing.
4. No copies of ID or paper forms are needed. The average time-frame to complete a Basic Disclosure check using our On-line service is 2 weeks (as long as there are no queries). Indeed, many are completed sooner than this.
5. On completion, we email you to let you know and then send you a hard-copy Basic Disclosure certificate is dispatched to you for your own records
To access our online Basic Disclosure application system, you need to Create an Account with us. This is free and under no obligation.
5. Basic DisclosureProcessing times
On average it takes 13 - 16 working days (Monday - Friday not including bank or public holidays) to process a Basic Disclosure application from the receipt of a correctly filled online Basic Disclosure application form. As a guide, 95% of applications are completed in 12 calendar days.
Our sole business is the processing of criminal records checks. We will do everything we can to ensure your Basic Disclosure is processed as quickly as possible (see our customer testimonials).
Note: Incorrectly filled/inaccurate applications, or queries will cause delays and may result in the rejection of your application. In such cases of rejection, or late cancellation, administration charges may be applicable.
6. How to Obtain a Basic Disclosure check
You will be re-directed to our sister website (www.basicpolicecheck.co.uk) which provides an online Basic service for people who require 1 x check.
We are proud to be recommended by many of our customers. Check out our Customer Feedback here.
Online DBS Checks, Basic Disclosure Checks, External ID Validation, Employee Credit Checks
The information provided on our website is for guidance only and should not be considered as a substitute for legal advice.
Copyright © 2002-2017 Mayflower Disclosure Services Ltd. All rights reserved.